Sunday, May 23, 2010

Takin it to the streets

I've let this get way out of hand. I am overwhelmed here about the prospect of writing about all the Next Wave stuff I have seen since I last reported. Yes. I should have gotten back to you sooner. But as soon as I left one thing, there was another to dash to. Now I have art fatigue, and a bit of a hangover. I'm sure you understand my dilemma(s).

This afternoon I attended the 4th and final Next Wave forum, 'Taking it to the streets'. Mostly about art in public spaces (whether existing or a public space that is created through the work). I particularly appreciated Lucas Ihlein's hand-drawn diagrams illustrating the ideal process timeline as a series of many mini-deadlines, as opposed to the less appealinng burst of high-stress, panic, waste and mindlessness, followed by the fireworks, and then fallout (debt, neglected friends etc), and then a period of recovery. This fits nicely with his larger ideals of art being a part of everyday life, existing in the real world, and yes in the art world too if you like (which is in the real world, he clarifies). But anyway, I was inspired, which is why I am here in Victoria State library at 5.30 on a Sunday Evening trying to tick off some mini-deadlines. Orchestrator of Next Wave's Chicken Stampede, George Egerton-Warburton also spoke, mostly taking us through his circuitous tangential logic (yes that works, think about it: you go on conceptual tangents only to reconnect with aspect of your original point of departure). Sorry.. circuitous tangential logic that sees the stampede of 300 chickens through a main street to Jeff Khan's backyard where they can be adopted by the public, as a necessary public action, giving visibility to livestock, commenting on the inherent loveliness of autonomous systems (not unlike meth-labs), and is a step forward in self-sufficiency and the future of Australian cultural identity. Unfortunately the RSPCA do not agree and have prevented the stampede citing that there is no guarantee that the chickens will go to good homes. These are chickens that, Egerton-Warburton says, will likely end up on cage farms otherwise. Instead there will be a 'Fucking Chicken Sound Stampede', in which participants are invited to stand in for the chickens and stamped the street making chicken noises. So come along next Sunday and have a cluck.

There. A mini deadline met gallantly. I didn't actually talk about any of the works, but the library is closing. Coming soon you will have Brown Council, Sugar Coated, the High Vis Dandies, Some Film Museums I Have Known, and more!

No comments: